Family at Castaway Cay

Family at Castaway Cay

Monday, January 9, 2012

Disney Trip Report Driving to Florida

Over the next couple weeks I wanted to give a detailed trip report from our recent cruise on the Dream and week at Disney World. I know many of you plan the same type trips and I always enjoy hearing the good, the bad and the ugly so I know how to better plan my trips, as well as helping you plan the magic.
We did something new for us this year - we drove our car to Cape Canaveral.  Typically we have either flown or driven our RV but this year we decided the kids are a bit older and finances are a bit tighter so loading up my gas efficient car was the best solution.

Since it is a 20 hour drive, we thought it would be best to drive through the night so that we would have at least 9 or so hours of sleeping children.  This worked wonderfully on our way down!  We left when my husband got home from work and drove all night to Ocala, FL. 

Ocala is less than an hour from Orlando and under two hours from the port.  I found a Howard Johnson hotel that was very inexpensive and right off our route on 75.  At $59 per night including a breakfast buffet with fresh waffles I would highly recommend this stop.  They have a hot tub we used after our long car ride and a pool (it was a bit chilly to swim, but the hot tub was perfect).  Also for a slight fee there is a little miniature golf course.  We ate at the hotel that night and had some fried fish with free soft serve ice cream for a very reasonable price.  This was not the best food we had on the trip, but the price was right and it was very convenient after a long drive. 

We went to bed early and slept for about 12 hours and woke up ready to get to Cape Canaveral.

No comments:

Post a Comment